Thursday, April 23, 2009

When is it time to say NO MORE BABIES?

So, we have all heard of "Brangelina" and there's "OctoMom". I even just recently picked up the latest People magazine and inside was a couple with 20 children (none of them adopted) AND they said they weren't even done! When is enough, enough? How does a mother even bond with each one of those kids? The answer is she doesn't! Pretty soon, after the first dozen the oldest child starts taking care of the youngest and so on. I live in Battle Ground where a lot of Apostolic's live. For those of you who aren't familiar with this religion, they believe that "it is the duty of a free woman to go on giving birth to children endlessly". The reason I bring this up is because they also have many children. When I moved to Battle Ground almost 5 years ago, I remember going into the Fred Meyer and seeing a family there with at least 6 kids. All of them standing in line, oldest to youngest (I'm guessing this based on their height) and holding onto each others hands. In my head I was thinking, "where did I just move to?". I also had a garage sale once and there were a couple of different times where a big, white van (always white, I don't know why), would show up and it would be filled with a mother and her many, many children, always to find kids clothes. The point I am trying to make is, shouldn't there be a limit on how many kids a person should have? How can anyone possibly afford that many children and give them the life they all deserve? How do you have time to bond with each child and give them the attention they need? Don't you want your kids to go to college? I'm not saying that you shouldn't have more that 4 or 5 or even 6 kids but I am saying that when you get into the double digits, it's time to stop!
This brings me to talk about a client of mine, whom I admire for her patience and caring heart. She has 6 children. 3 of them are biological and 3 are adopted. They range from about 21 yrs. old to about 4 months old so there are a few years in between each child. I have met 5 out of 6 of them and they are all very happy, well-behaved children. Most of them play sports and they live a normal life. What's so special about this client is that every child she has adpoted has been a special needs child. Her and her husband are choosing the children that nobody wants. She is actually about to adopt 2 more this summer. Wow, 8 children! It sounds like a lot and I know I couldn't do it but I really do believe she and her family have nothing but good intentions. I admire her for taking on the responsiblity that she has and she's not relying on the government to pay for it! On her behalf, I do have to say 8 is her limit and that she is realistic and understands that it is time to stop. I just wish Brad would tell Angelina "No more!" or that the doctor would have told OctoMom "You're nuts!" and for the Mom with the 20some kids and counting....how does your poor body even handle that?

No comments:

Post a Comment